Pilot Safety Course
The Pilot Safety Course conducted by RHC is a 3½ day course, which includes 2½ days of classroom instruction and 1 day devoted to maintenance, pre-flight inspections, and flying with an experienced RHC pilot in the R22, R44 or R66. Only one flight in one model is included. No additional flight time is available.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
While geared toward flight instructors, the course is open to any rated helicopter pilot with at least 3 hours in a Robinson helicopter, one hour of which was flown within 30 days prior to attending the course.
Students may enroll in anticipation of receiving their rating; however, they must have obtained their helicopter rating prior to attending the course
This course is taught entirely in English and all attendees are required to understand and speak English.
This is an FAA-approved Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) and could be used towards a CFI renewal.
COURSE DURATION AND SCHEDULE
All registrants must arrive by 7:45 a.m. each day. For your convenience, the classroom door will be opened at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, 7:45 a.m. on all subsequent days.
- Monday: Course curriculum includes a review of past R22/R44/R66 accidents, major causes of fatal accidents and how they could be avoided, helicopter theory, critical flight conditions, and a tour of the RHC manufacturing facility. The Awareness Training required by SFAR 73 is also included. Concludes: Approximately 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: Instruction covers the R22/R44/R66 Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) including limitations, emergency procedures and performance, as well as pertinent FAA regulations. Concludes: Approximately 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: An in-depth look at the R22/R44/R66 systems and a review of maintenance and pre-flight procedures. Also scheduled is approxmately 60 minutes of flight training with an experienced RHC flight instructor. Concludes: Approximately 12:00 noon followed with those scheduled to fly.
- ThursdayL Tail rotor ground accidents, tail rotor design, operation, a course review, written examination and critique. Concludes: Approximately 11:00 a.m. if already flew on Wednesday, no later than 5:00 p.m. if flying on Thursday.
- Friday: Scheduled "fly-later" flights only between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Lunch is provided by RHC on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Coffee, tea, and donuts are provided Monday through Thursday mornings.
WHAT TO BRING
Headset and logbook (required on flight day only), R22, R44 or R66 POH (not mandatory), and pen & paper for notes.
Safety Course Application and tuition must be received by RHC to reserve a space in the course. Also required are legible copies of attendee's Helicopter Pilot License (front and back) and current Medical Certificate, and photo ID and must be submitted prior to scheduled course date.
Courses are booked several months in advance. If you are not able to fly on Friday following the course and your preferred date is not available, you will be scheduled for your alternate date or the next available.
You will receive confirmation by email. Please contact us if you do not receive confirmation within 2 weeks of RHC receiving application and payment. Do not make travel arrangements until confirmation is received. Note: Course dates are subject to cancellation if sufficient registration is not achieved.
TUITION & RHC POLICY
The cost of the entire course, including flight time, is US$400.00 if flying an R22, or US$550.00 if flying an R44, and US$950.00 if flying an R66. Course reservations are only valid for the pilot listed on the confirmation letter and are not transferable.
RHC Policy: Tuition is non-refundable if cancellation is not received at least two weeks prior to scheduled course date. All other cancellations must be in writing and will be assessed a 10% processing fee. If rescheduling within 2 weeks of the course date, an additional 50% tuition is required. "No-shows" forfeit the entire tuition.
Robinson Helicopter Company, Safety Course Classroom
2901 Airport Drive, Torrance, CA 90505
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Contact our Course Administrator at email@example.com.